Prep Time: 20 Min
Cook Time: 55 – 65 Min
1. Bring a medium sized sauce pot to temperature on just below medium. Pour in the olive oil and give a minute to heat before adding in the garlic. Stir often and cook for 3 – 4 minutes, sprinkle in the red pepper flakes and cook another minute before stirring in the diced onions. Give a pinch of sea salt / black pepper and fry stirring often for 5 minutes.
2. Add the tomato paste and allow a minute to cook before pouring in the diced tomatoes. Bring to a boil. Add the dried herbs and sugar. Reduce heat to medium low, cover, and simmer 15 minutes stirring occasionally. Blend using an Immersion Blender (food processor or stand blender work as well). Taste and adjust salt / pepper.
3. Preheat oven to 350 F
4. Bring a large pot of cold water to a boil. Season liberally with sea salt and add the pasta. Cook to Al Dente according to package directions. Strain and set aside.
5. In a 2 ½ qt. Baking Dish, start by ladling some of the sauce in the bottom of the dish coating it entirely. Split the pasta into 2 portions and use the first portion as layer #1. Work the pasta into all sides of the dish creating a fairly even layer. Sprinkle with 1/3 of the shredded mozzarella / parmesan. Lay half the zucchini slices across the whole dish again creating another layer. Drizzle the zucchini with EVOO. Ladle more sauce over the layer of zucchini and repeat the layering again. Pasta, cheeses, zucchini, and EVOO. Ladle sauce through the middle of the dish leaving some of the green zucchini peeking out from all sides. Sprinkle with the remaining mozzarella / parmesan.
6. Bake uncovered 30 – 35 Min until thoroughly heated and cheese is starting to brown.
7. Garnish with fresh parsley or basil, grated parmesan, and a drizzle of EVOO.
Jonathan - Happy Veg
Recipes that everyone in the house will love, guaranteed.